POM Glazed Pork Chops with Red Cabbage and Mashed Potatoes
- 450ml POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 4 pork chops, about 1 inch to 1.5 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil: 2 teaspoons to fry the chops, plus 1 tablespoon for the cabbage.
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 500g (after removing the core) red cabbage, shredded or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of fennel or caraway seeds
- 225ml water, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium-sized Desiree, Maris Piper or similar potato suited to mashing
- 225ml warmed buttermilk (if you cannot find buttermilk, mix 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice or cider vinegar into 225ml of whole milk and allow to stand for 5 minutes).
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook them covered until soft which should take about 25-30 minutes. When soft, remove the potatoes from the heat and drain. Mash with a potato masher and then add the warmed buttermilk and butter (if you are using it).
Peel and core the apples, cutting them into 6mm-10mm slices, depending on how chunky you prefer them.
Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large skillet or deep frying pan. Brush the Worcestershire sauce onto the pork chops, season with salt and pepper and put them into the pre-heated pan. Brown the chops on both sides and then lower the heat so they continue cooking through, but do not burn on the outside.
Mix half the pomegranate juice with the balsamic vinegar and corn flour and pour the mixture into the skillet. Cover the pan and cook until the pork chops are tender and but still juicy, which should take around 20 to 25 minutes.
In a large saucepan, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and apples; cook on a low to medium heat until they begin to soften, but not colour. Add the grated red cabbage, bay leaf, water, fennel seeds, red wine vinegar and brown sugar as well as the second half of the pomegranate juice. Add salt and pepper to taste, cook the cabbage mixture gently for 15-30 minutes, depending on how crunchy or soft you prefer your cabbage.
Serve the pork chops and cabbage with mashed potatoes.