Veal Scallops POM Marsala Cream Sauce
- 150g arils from 1-2 POM Wonderful Pomegranates
- 30ml POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 4 veal scallops or boneless veal rib chops (about 500-600g, about 2cm thick)
- 5g (2 tsp) brown sugar
- 4g (1 tsp) salt, divided
- 0.5g (1/4 tsp) cracked black pepper
- 5ml (1 tsp) olive oil
- 70g sliced onions
- 75g sliced mushrooms
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Marsala wine
- 240ml heavy cream
- 0.5g (1/4 tsp) white pepper
Directions:1. Score 1-2 fresh pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranates underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 150g of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
2. Mix together sugar, black pepper, and 2g (1/2 tsp) salt and pat onto veal scallops.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the veal in a single layer.
4. Brown veal without turning until there is a caramel color on the underside. Turn over; cook to brown the second side. Remove veal from pan and keep warm.
5. Add onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Cover and cook over low heat until onions and mushrooms are soft and tender; about 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove skillet from heat; add Marsala and pomegranate juice. Return skillet to the heat to deglaze, and stir to keep onions and mushrooms from over-browning. Add cream and cook to reduce by 1/3. Stir in 2g (1/2 tsp) salt, white pepper and 75g arils; heat until bubbly.
7. Return veal to the skillet with the sauce, mushrooms and onions.
8. Serve veal, onions and mushrooms with sauce topped with additional 75g arils.